Life In the UK

Friday, December 29, 2006

The Pacific





I stopped in Dubai before heading to the pacific!Dubai is very different to the rest of the Gulf. You can't show public affection and need to be aware of local laws, but on the other hand there is loads of nightlife, great restaurants and good shopping. That aside, not much to do there.

It's mix of Vegas style beach resorts, Manhattan skyscrapers (ie banks and hotels) and a lot of desert. All is man-made making it feel quite artificial. Dubai, attracts many foreigners who come to work at great salaries tax free .
You can walk into a really posh night club that's very selective or next-door to a hotel-bar filled with prostitutes.





I found Trilogy -(one of top clubs ) very pretentious, expensive but full of beautiful people! I had to bribe the bouncer just to get in, as you need reservations or to be a couple. A great view from the roof top terrace but I was not impressed I had to pay someone off to get in.

Trinidad and Tobago

Skip the Capitol of Trinidad, the industrial island of the pair! I heard they have nice beaches somewhere on the Island but its cheaper to fly to Tobago (which is more tropical and touristy) than to grab a very expensive taxi's to the other side of Trinidad. The locals are quite diverse unlike the rest of the Caribbean. A few Chinese and the bulk coming from India and Africa . One of the locals were telling me over the last decade the government has been pushing racial divides.



Half the people I came across seemed very friendly and ready to converse but the rest were not too happy to see me. They don't seem to like Europeans?

Hong Kong was brief but still a nice stop filled with its countless skyscrapers and diverse shops and markets.







Australia

Sydney turned out to be Great New year, I arrived with no accommodation which was tough as everything was booked out, but was able to drop my things off at a mates from the UK ,while I looked for a place.



They had tickets to a booked out Party on Bondai beach, so I started out alone after we went to see the fireworks along the Sydney Harbour. I later met two Germans on the beach and then some locals who invited us to their house party and where we danced and drank till Sunrise.

Adelaide was quiet and small aside from some great wine and a good Tepanyaki not much to do. Melbourne was tough on my liver as was Perth as I had many mates to catch up with.



Perth was exceptionally good as my mate Gerard which I worked with in Greece in 2002 let me borrow his truck so I could get some surf in. I only made it 100k North but the terrain is practically isolated and left untouched. Perth has a good reputation for its good wines and attractive women. I actually stayed in a cute little village just out of Perth called free mantle. I also went to the untouched Island of Rottnest which has some of the nicest beaches in the west.



Saw and tasted my first kangaroo and did some searching for Koalas.

Australia has been very bad for my liver as they drink a lot. There are lots of similarities with the US , in the sense that all is very spread out making transport complex and cars necessary, as well as loads of rules and restrictions.

You can't cross the street at the wrong time or place, no drinking on the beach, ID's to get in all bars/pubs etc.....



The Ozzie's are laid back, and friendly and very active. surfing,Kayaking, mountain biking, cricket......... i could go on for ever. They are big on the outdoors and sports in general.

Brisbane is not the best City and Surfers Paraduse on the gold coast I did not like at all. Very commercial with a few strips of large skyscrapers and hotels filled with of Japanese tourists, a few drunk locals and backpackers. Its one of the most famous holiday resorts in OZ?

I preferred Byron's bay by far. a cute little town with only 2-3 streets a few cafes and restaurants. Its also touristy but as a nicer feel and beaches are more scenic especially if you head south. They also have quite a bit of fiesta.




NZ






Auckland had a few more hills than Oz's city's. The sky tower is great for city views and bungee jumping as its about the same height as the Eiffel tower.

From New Zealand



New Zealand is smaller than Oz with a far more relaxed feel and is very Green. Some of the scenery is spectacular.

From New Zealand


See the movie Lord of the rings as most of it was filmed here. I did a few touristy things like the infamous caves of Waitamo where you can see hundreds of glow worms lighting our path, Rotorura the city known for it's Maori culture, sulphur stink , mud pools and geysers.

As funny as it was to experience the haka dance in a fabricated Maori Village, it was too touristy.

From New Zealand


Mt Maunganui a surfer town at the bottom of a tiny volcano was good fun. A very relaxed place.


From New Zealand


In the south Island I went to Queenstown the party and sport adventure capitol .


From New Zealand


I went to Wanaka as well a quiet version of Queenstown to relax after too much parting and doing a 134m Bungi jump.


The tallest in NZ and the 3/4th highest in the world. Was absolutely amazing. You can see it below by clicking on this link.

From New Zealand





http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=025EOuua2IE


Not far from Queensland is Milford sound, one of the most Beautiful place you will see. Amazing views of Mountains meeting lakes etc....

From New Zealand


From New Zealand



After a quick stop in Christchurch via mount cook, stopped over in Singapore and am off the Belgium and Turkey in the next 2 weeks.

From New Zealand

1 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Dr Purva Pius said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home