Life In the UK

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Morocco/Oman


Morocco..... was a shock to the senses in many ways. Had Fantastic food - was filled with bright colours and exotic spices and smells.

Casa Blanca I found dirty, exceptonally noisy and it's Bars are filled only with Men.

Half of the population walk around in sheets and slippers, but the mint tea is delicious and there are skiable mountans, green pastures and remote beaches as well as deserts.

Much of the architexture is very attractive with it's geometrical shapes and designs.



Yet decaying, old and dirty- it seems to be in another era from long ago.

Marrakesh, must have been a jewel 20 years ago, before it became such a huge tourist attraction.



However, it's central square is still filled with life and energy.

People are dancing, drums are pounding, snakes are chasing you (ie if you don't pay for the cobra snapshot) and artisanos are every where.

There are pink buildings, little winding streets and breath taking imperial archetexture. It is easy to get lost in the souks, as they are a never-ending maze of market stalls, vivid colours and intising smells.



Romania was to short to comment and I have already been Ecuador (see mundodimarco for more comentary).


I did enjoy some great nightlife while in Quito before taking 2 weeks holiday in
California.






I spent some quality time with my parents and much time eating and surfing .




Aside from catching up with some old friends I met some cool Brazilians who were good fun and nice enough to take me out every other night.



After a day back in London, I flew to Oman. Its unlike most places I have seen.




Like most imagine it is a desert but with more mountains than sand (and no green). Apart from my hotel (Sheraton- the tallest building in Muscat) almost all buildings are white. I was told that is the law.

I saw the royal palace, a few beaches and the main Souk (market).



Oman is one of the most traditional countries in the Arab world.

From the second I arrived everyone was in white robes, sandals and turbans. You can not tell them apart , its hard to even distinguish their class or educational level until you actually converse.




ΒΌ of the people in Oman are foreign immigrant workers from India /Asia which was an unexpected surprise.


Oman seems safe as they literally will take an arm. Many men still select women to marry they have barely caught a glimpse of. How you can marry a woman you have never spoken to I can't understand? They can have up to 4 wives as well. Each to his own I guess.



Alcohol and dance bars can only really be found in large foreign hotels and men and women do very little talking unless they are related. In general I found locals friendly and able to speak English.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home